This pie is so simple to make yet so delicious it’s ridiculous. The photo below is evidence of just that as it was made by a certain ms wilopo, who claims to be completely clueless when it comes to cooking. So if mel can do it, so can you!
Try it, you won’t regret it!
(recipe adapted from Good Food Australia)
50g butter (shortcut hint: it’s about 1/4 of a standard 250g block of butter so no need to take out the scales to weigh it)
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 leeks, sliced thinly (only use the white part)
1/3 cup plain flour
1.5 cups chicken stock (just used 1 cube of the knorr chicken stock would do)
200g button mushrooms
750g roast chicken meat chopped (shortcut hint: we used the ready roasted chicken from the supermarkets)
375g frozen pastry thawd (shortcut hint: buy the ready rolled ones)
1 egg yolk, lighly whisked
1. Preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan on medium flame. Cook celery & leek until it softens (5-7mins).
3 Add flour and cook for 2 mins stirring to make a paste. Gradually stir in stock & cream. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover n lightly simmer for 5 mins. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in chicken & mushrooms. Season with salt & pepper.
5. Spoon chicken mixture into a oven proof dish. Top with pastry and crimp edges to seal (dab a little water along the edges).
6. Cut a 1cm slit in centre of pastry lid. Brushed whisked egg over pastry.
7. Bake for 40mins till golden.