As an extension to the chick chick pie recipe, making a hearty nourishing cream of chicken soup is very much the same. The only major difference is that I’ve substituted the cream with milk….I’m a slave to my waistline, you see…. so my master says no to cream but feel free to indulge for a richer & more “campbell soup” tasting version.
50g butter (i tried to swap this with olive oil for a less fattening version, DON’T! It didn’t work. Unfortunately, like my waistline, it needs FAT for the thickening effect.)
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 leek, sliced thinly (only use the white part)
1/3 cup plain flour
2.5-3 cups chicken stock (just use 1 cube of the knorr chicken stock would do)
150ml cream or milk
1 carrot diced into small cubes/slices
500g roast chicken meat chopped (shortcut hint: use the ready roasted chicken from the supermarkets)
1 sprig of thyme or rosemary (add this in if you have them, if not, don’t worry, it’s not the end of the world. It does add a nice herby zing to the soup)
1. Melt butter in large saucepan on medium flame. Cook carrots, celery & leek until it softens (5-7mins).
2. Add in the Thyme/Rosemary
3. Add flour and cook for 2 mins stirring to make a paste. Gradually stir in stock & milk. Tip: Adjust the amount of stock/milk according to how thick you like your soup.
4. Stir in chicken & mushrooms. Season with salt & pepper.
5. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover n lightly simmer for 5 mins.
6. Serve with crusty bread.
Tip: Store leftovers in the fridge/freezer. It thickens considerably so you can use them to quickly whip up a chick chick pie!