It was a really fun & productive weekend. Not only did we manage to do our usual lunch and walk at Coogee beach, check out the new swanky Westfield’s mall in the city where I had the yummiest and very sinful tiramisu cupcake from “the cupcake bakery” but I even found the time to indulge in making my latest craving – Chicken Curry Puff!
Ok first, let’s look at pretty photos – the cupcake. I bought ONE piece and it came in the loveliest box. So lovely was the box, i was tempted to keep it but I, being the messy eater that I am, smeared cream n cake crumbs all over the box in my excitement.
and The Beast
Ok now, get ready for the not so good looking curry puff. I’ve christian it – The Curry Monster Puff.
Chicken Curry Filling Recipe
5 tablespoons oil
1 medium red onion (finely chopped)
1/2 teaspoon kurma powder or chicken curry powder
2 teaspoons meat or chicken curry powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup of finely diced chicken breast meat
1 large potatoes (boiled and finely diced)
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Make the filling first.
Heat oil and fry onion gently until golden brown. Add the kurma powder, curry powder, chili, turmeric, cinnamon sticks and fry gently. Add the chicken, potatoes, sugar, pepper, salt and cook for 5 minutes. Mix well and leave aside to cool.
Pastry 1 (oil based dough)
250gms plain flour
60gms soft butter or margarine
140mls vegetable oil
Pastry 2 (water based dough)
450gms plain flour
375mls cold water + dissolve 1.5 teaspoon of salt
- Mix 1 into a soft dough and roll into 20 small balls
- Mix 2 and roll into 20 small balls
- Place dough 1 on top of dough 2
- Roll into long strip with rolling pin
- Using your hand to roll up into a sausage
- Flatten again with a rolling pin
- Then using your hand and roll into a sausage again
- Cut into half
- With inside up, roll into a circle
- Turn over and put in the filling (about 1 Tablespoon)
- Fold in sides tightly with your thumb
- Deep fry over medium to slow heat till light brown.