I don’t boast to make the best prawn noodles (that award goes to my good friend Grace but her recipe is a well-guarded family heirloom n can’t be shared 😦 )
So I’ve researched on a few recipes and came up with this short cut method that was surprisingly slurpy-liciously yummy for a cold winter night. Here’s how it turned out:
1kg prawns (separate prawn heads & shells)
1kg pork ribs
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp thai fish sauce
1 tbsp salt
5-6 chinese bowls of water
Choice noodles (eg. Bee hoon, yellow noodles)
Any green leafy veg
Make into a paste:
6 garlic cloves
5 small-med shallots
1 knob of ginger
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
1. Fry paste in pot over medium flame till brown & carmalized
2. Add prawn head & shells, fry till slightly burnt
3. Add in pork ribs, sear it.
4. Add in fish sauce, salt & brown sugar.
4. Add 5 to 6 rice bowls of water, cover & simmer for 1 hour or until pork’s very tender. Taste the stock and adjust flavour with more salt, fish sauce or sugar as desired.
5. Add in prawns, Remove & set aside once prawn is just cooked. (becareful not to overcook)
6. Add in veggies, and your choice noodles. Once cooked ladle into bowls, topped with prawns.
7. Serve hot with fried shallots & chilli powder toppings.
Ta-da! Your steamy hot bowl of MSG-free prawn noodles soup!